June 22, 2011

Childhood Memoirs

1:05 pm - Sunday 12th June 2011


The pitter patter of raindrops on the window sill this morning reminded me of another chilly rainy afternoon in Philippines. Waking up to the lovely, albeit gloomy weather made me think,
"Grabe umuulan na nga, ang init parin! Para talagang Pinas!"
I hauled my blinds up and sat on the window sill as soon as I got out of bed. It really gave me the chill factor and thought. "It really feels like Pinas!"


I remember the times when I use to do this in Philippines, back when I was around 8-9 years old. When "Inang" (My Grandma) would forbid me to go outside and play in the rain incase I'd get a cold afterwards. I get ill very easily when I was a kid you see. Infact, even until now!
So I would stumble my way up to my bedroom sit on the window sill and watch my friends play "Langit Lupa" in the rain. I was so jealous! I tend to spend a couple of hours with my legs up, hugging them.. and resting my chin on my knee. Thinking that I'm on a planet a lifetime away from my friends, listening to the steady thud of the rain and watching two raindrops chase each other down the window pane. Guess that's why they call it window "pain".




Anyhoo, enough with the drama. The reason why I'm writing this is not to talk abouthow depressing the England weather is but to reminisce about my childhood mooments and how the pople and memories from then is the reason to why and how I got to where I am now. So let's go!! :)


This is me, Jeremy Del Tierro Ganancial Ulanday. Born and raised in Binalonan, Philippines! :)
Till I was 9 anyway. hehe. So yup! Ilocana and proud to be!



Let me share some of the things I grew up to doing or eating  when I was a kid. Im sure some of you will remember these and ofcourse, its only in the Philippines! :)

Pandesal :)
 Let me start with food. Who does not want a bag of warm "pandesals" in the morning for breakfast! In my family, this is never absent on our breakfast table! I remember me and my Inang, would  wait outside the gates at 4am in the morning (even late at night!) and a man on his bike with a big basket behind  him would drive past with his "torotot" or whatever you may call it.  Whenever I wake up in the morning before I head out to school, I always, ALWAYS have this! With margarin, peanut butter (although I cant really eat it!) or on its own! Super yummy talaga!
Fresh Buko Juice!
Bibingka!
 This has to be
Fishballs
Bottled Drinks! (Or sa supot!)
Goldilocks Cake!
Halo halo!
Ice Candy
Isaw!
  Ive gotta say that its a perfect afternoon snack when you guy it on the street. Sarap Grabe!
Jollibee
Syempre! Sino ba naman ang makakalimut ng Jollibee? Nearly everyday this was my "baon" to school and I never get sick of it. That giant red bee really gives one jolly treat!
Lanzones
This has got to be my second favourite fruit on earth. Its very popular in markets around October and I remember having this as one of my "Birthday Treats" and having it daily. Trust me, I could eat this everyday.
Mamang Sorbetero
Mamang Sorbetero
Mangang Hilaw
Dirty Ice cream on Pandesal
Puto Bumbong
Rambutan

Meet my THIRD favourite fruit on earth :) Captivating inside and out!
Sago't Gulaman

Palamig

Sari Saring Paninda
Sari Sari Store
Senorita
Bananaque!


I use to have a friend that sells Turon, Lumpia and Bananaque and I would ride in her bike around the village and help her sell it! It was so much fun!


(To be continued...)






























































No comments:

Post a Comment